Help us to help you.
We are aware how busy the practice is at the moment and that it is very difficult to get through on the phone.
Today we had two receptionists covering the Mapperley surgery for most of the day. They were on the phone for 9 hours of our 10.5 hour working day. They did not stop answering the phones, as well as trying to keep on top of prescriptions, scanning and queries from patients coming up to the desk. The average time for the phone to be answered was three minutes, this is incredible considering the pressure they are under.
We unsurprisingly have staff shortages at the moment. Three of our doctors are self-isolating because either they or a family member are unwell. It has been very challenging for them to access a COVID test, and there have been delays in receiving the results of these. So if you are struggling to get an appointment, we can only apologise. It is not our receptionists’ fault.
Following a Practice meeting last week, we are now increasing our “same day” urgent appointments to try and meet the huge demand at the moment. We hope that this will help you to get an appointment more easily.
In the mean time, please can you help us to help you by doing the following:
- Only call in the mornings for urgent issues. If you need to book a routine appointment, or enquire about a referral or a test result, please phone in the afternoon.
- Consider whether anyone else can help. Could you see a pharmacist for a minor injury or illness? If you have a musculo-skeletal problem, a Physiotherapist may be the best person to assess you. You do not need a GP referral for this. If you wish to refer yourself for counselling or other talking therapies for stress, anxiety and depression, you do not need a GP referral for this.
- If your problem is routine, we can usually get an appointment with a doctor within a week or two. If you wish to see a particular doctor, this might be more like a 3-4 week wait. However, should things become more urgent, please phone as early as possible after 8am when we will try and get an appointment with the triaging doctor.
- Use both sites if you can – it is often quicker to get an appointment at Victoria then Mapperley.
- We cannot perform or chase COVID swabs within the practice. Please call 119
- Please do not take your frustrations out on our amazing receptionists, who continue to answer calls all day, even when somebody upsets them. They have nowhere to hide.